River cruises are rising in popularity, and it’s no wonder why. Less passengers, more inclusions, and unpacking once are just a few reasons why people are realizing that river cruising is the best way to explore Europe.
At Avalon, we’re experts in river cruising. We compiled a list of tips and tricks from our travel experts to help you once you get on board your next Avalon river cruise ship.
- Get extra closet space by storing your empty luggage under your bed
- You can have Avalon create you a name tag when you arrive – it’s a fun way to get to know our fellow cruisers
- Include binoculars in your luggage. There is so much to see along the shores and it’s fun to be able to look at small castle and vineyard details from your stateroom
- Never worry about not having a bottle of water handy – every time you leave the ship for the included sightseeing the crew has bottles of water to take and there will always be two bottles of water in the stateroom
- If you’re looking for a snack, you can find fresh fruit in the Panorama Lounge all day, as well as sweets (cookies, donuts, etc.) in the Club Lounge
- Ask the Cruise Director or the Captain on times of when you’ll be cruising by scenic landscapes or must-see sights so that you can hang out in my Panorama Suite and watch the view go by
- It’s fun to experience the different dining options – the Sky Deck Bistro, the Panorama Bistro, as well the eating in the dining room – different setting, different menu and overall different experience [ezcol_1half]
- Port talks and the entertainment are very popular – if you want a front-row seat, we recommend getting to the Panorama Lounge early
Happy Hour is a hit – half-price drinks (that’s a great deal!)
- If you’re maintaining your workout routine, don’t worry about bringing a towel or water to the Fitness Room, they supply both for you (and it was fun to run on the treadmill looking out the window at the river)
- Don’t forget your included headset for shore excursions – the Local Guides bring the destinations to life with their rich and historical commentary
- On the last day of the cruise, Avalon can print out a full set of the dinner menus for the cruise – such a fun keepsake to remember all the amazing meals you’ve eaten
- Is there was a particular dish that everyone loved? Ask your server at dinner and your chef will provide your travel group with the recipe
- Make sure to check the Breakfast and Lunch menus – in addition to the buffet, they offer Daily Specials that are not on the buffet, but can be ordered
- The Observation Lounge on the front the ship was a quiet place to relax
Have you been on an Avalon river cruise before? What tips and tricks do you have to share? Make sure to join the conversation on our Facebook page.