FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Melanie Gravdal
RAISING OUR SIGHTS HIGHER …
Avalon Uncovers Dreamy New Ports and Possibilities on the Danube River
LITTLETON, Colorado – April 21, 2020 – The Danube River winds and bends through 10 countries to carve a historic path that unites fairytale villages, capital cities, cliffside castles and forested slopes for picture-perfect landscapes as far as the eye can see. Along this legendary path, Avalon Waterways has created a boatload of extraordinary experiences for travelers. The river cruise line has unveiled five (5) NEW Danube River ports as well as three (3) NEW 2021 European river cruise vacations that feature Croatia, Serbia, Romania and Bulgaria.
Spotlighting NEW Danube River ports:
- ILOK, CROATIA: Surrounded by wine-growing hills, Ilok is the easternmost town in Croatia. Here, Avalon Waterways will invite travelers to delve into the town’s 1,000-year-old wine-making tradition and explore Ilok’s cultural heritage, protected by a medieval fortress.
- GOLUBAC, SERBIA: Sitting high above the Danube River, just outside the Iron Gates, is the medieval Golubac fortress: One of the best-preserved fortresses in Europe. Here, guests will soon be invited to learn about the area’s tumultuous history, its ties to the Habsburg Monarchy and Ottoman Empire.
- CONSTANTA, ROMANIA: An incredible, port city on the Black Sea, Constanta offers sweeping views and a seaside getaway. Here, travelers can soon explore the city’s Natural History & Archeological Museum for a glimpse into early Romanian cultures.
- YBBS, AUSTRIA: Established in the 1300s, Ybbs acted as an important port for trade in the Middle Ages. Today, it serves as the entry point for the Danube to lower Austria. Avalon Waterways will be the first international cruise operator to stop in this village and invite guests to experience the area.
- HAINBURG, AUSTRIA: This beautiful Austrian village sits 20 miles outside Bratislava and has a strong Habsburg history. Here, Avalon guests will have the opportunity to experience the area’s wetlands, castle and even its strong, Roman past.
Avalon Waterways’ NEW 2021 Danube itineraries – including those that feature new ports are:
- NEW 9-Day Balkan Odyssey (from Bucharest to Zagreb)
- NEW 9-Day The Danube from Croatia to the Black Sea (from Zagreb to Bucharest)
- NEW 16-Day The Danube from Germany to the Black Sea (from Deggendorf to Bucharest)
“On our all-new Balkan Odyssey cruise, travelers will embark on an adventure along the Danube and Drava rivers for an unforgettable journey through time and tradition,” said Pam Hoffee, managing director of Avalon Waterways. “This itinerary is perfectly book-ended with two nights in both Bucharest and Zagreb and represents our Danube expansion, giving travelers more ports and more possibilities for their river cruise exploration.”
All cruise itineraries sail on Avalon Waterways’ signature Suite Ships which provide guests two full decks of 200-square-foot, one-of-a-kind Panorama Suites featuring the industry’s only Open-Air Balconies and beds facing the incredible views for which river cruising is famous.
# # #
ABOUT AVALON WATERWAYS
Travelers wanting to see the world need only cruise down its legendary rivers. For those interested in seeing more of the world, there’s Avalon Waterways®. Our entire fleet of Suite Ships® proudly present Avalon Waterways’ unique Open-Air BalconySM—cruising’s only bed with a view, more space and 24/7 access to open-air cruising. When travelers pair panoramic scenes with the widest-ranging excursion choices in river cruising, they’re in for an experience as wide open as the view.
On an Avalon cruise, schedules give way to whims, leaving travelers the freedom to do exactly as they please, when they please. Whether enjoying a guided walking tour of one of Europe’s great cities, joining a cooking class or paddling a canoe, our Avalon Choice® selections of Classic, Discovery and Active excursions offer a wide range of possibilities. When travelers prefer to explore on their own, Avalon helps with recommendations, information and the gear they need, thanks to Adventure Hosts, an Adventure Center and AvalonGO mobile app. And when it’s time to refuel, Avalon’s FlexDining® program gives guests the choices they crave.
When travelers sail the world with Avalon Waterways, every day is an adventure and every adventure is up to our guests. For more information, visit www.avalonwaterways.com; travel agents can visit www.globusfamilypartner.com. Avalon Waterways is a proud supporter of The Ocean Cleanup.